Scientific Laboratory Tehnician
Middle (2-5 ani), Senior (5-10 ani), Executive (>10 ani)
With a science background and the desire to support analysis, investigation, research and development, you could work as a scientific laboratory technician
As a scientific laboratory technician, you'll be involved in a variety of laboratory-based tests for the approval and control of the chemical and physical operations of the production process.
You will carry out sampling, testing, measuring, recording and analysing of results as part of a scientific team. Your job is to provide all the required technical support to enable the laboratory to function effectively, while adhering to correct procedures and health and safety guidelines.
As a scientific laboratory technician, you'll carry out work that assists in the advancement and development of product design and also provide detailed reports for customers audit trails and more importantly of the daily processes. The work plays an important role in the foundation stages of research and development (R&D) and in scientific analysis and investigation.
Scientific laboratory technicians carry out the work that allows scientists to concentrate on, and perform, the more complex analytical processes in the laboratory.
Tasks can vary depending on the specific employer but typically involve:
- performing laboratory tests in order to produce reliable and precise data to support scientific investigations;
- carrying out routine tasks accurately and following strict methodologies to carry out analyses;
- preparing specimens and samples;
- constructing, maintaining and operating standard laboratory equipment, for example tensile testing m/c, Elongation, SG tests, Particle analysis, Hardness
- ensuring the laboratory is well-stocked and resourced;
- recording and sometimes interpreting results to present to senior colleagues;
- Knowledge of Microsoft Excell, Word, PowerPoint and performing mathematical calculations for the preparation of graphs;
- keeping up to date with technical developments, especially those which can save time and improve reliability;
- conducting searches on identified topics relevant to the research;
- following and ensuring strict safety procedures and safety checks.
JOB SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Attention to Detail: Performing tests requires exact measurements and a good eye for detail, or the results could be false.
- Dexterity: Lab techs work with their hands and will need dexterity to work with material preparations, and delicate lab equipment.
- Stamina: Lab technicians work long days on their feet, sometimes hunched over a workstation for long periods of time.
- Technical Skill: Lab techs need to understand complex lab machinery and computer programs used to conduct tests.
- Mathematical skills and understanding graphs and basic knowledge of Youngs modulus of elasticity useful
- People looking to get started should have an aptitude for science