The Romanian Institute of Science and Technology (RIST) has two open positions of research software developer / research assistant for machine learning / deep learning in the Deep Computational Intelligence group, in Cluj, Romania.
This department studies how intelligent agents are able to learn about their environment by interacting with it, through curiosity-driven learning, using approaches such as deep learning, hierarchical reinforcement learning and meta-learning. The department also develops technologies for program synthesis or induction and for assisting software developers, using deep learning and other machine learning methods. We are focusing on the automated development of web pages (HTML / CSS) and the synthesis of new types of autoencoders / compressors.
In the next 2 years, the department is expected to spin off a startup focused on the automated development of web pages, and the applicants will have the opportunity to be part of this startup.
The applicants will support the department’s researchers for the development and the experimental evaluation of novel machine learning systems. This may include:
- efficiently implementing learning algorithms, using frameworks such as TensorFlow or PyTorch;
- monitoring computational experiments;
- configuring Linux-based servers for the purpose of training deep neural networks;
- interfacing learning algorithms to robotic simulators or computational environments;
- collecting, structuring and analyzing datasets such as large repositories of web pages;
- setting up and maintaining big data systems that store open source code, learning history and results, and various metadata regarding learning experiments.
The candidate will likely program mostly in Python, but should be open to use the technologies most appropriate for each task, as needed.
Desired qualifications and skills:
- bachelor (master degree is preferred) in computer science, information technology engineering, applied mathematics, or related fields;
- strong analytical skills, such as problem solving and logical thinking;
- enthusiasm to learn new things and work in a multidisciplinary and international research environment;
- excellent written and oral communication skills in English;
- at least minimal experience in using a machine learning framework such as TensorFlow, PyTorch, or Keras, or some experience in object-oriented programming of advanced numerical or algebraic algorithms;
This position represents an ideal and privileged opportunity for both recently graduated students and more experienced computer scientists and engineers to join a vibrant, international, and multidisciplinary working environment, and to contribute to the advancement of the state of the art of the research in machine learning and program synthesis.
The contract may start as soon as possible, according to the availability of the candidate, and will be offered on a fixed period of about 2 years. RIST offers competitive salaries and top-level working conditions.
How to apply:
In order to apply to this position, the interested candidates should send
- full curriculum vitae (or a link to it, if available online);
- if available: links to open source software developed by the applicant, the latest thesis written by the applicant (for example, a Masters thesis), descriptions of interesting projects to which the applicant had a significant contribution, or scientific publications;
- optionally: a motivation letter, in English: Why would you like to work with us? Why should we hire you?
We are looking forward to hearing from you!