Adresa/ adresele jobului
The Romanian Institute of Science and Technology (RIST) has an opening for a position of Research Software Developer for Machine Learning, in the context of a project that aims to develop artificial intelligent systems able to automatically generate software. After 3-4 years, the project is expected to spin off a startup, and the Research Software Developer will have the opportunity to be part of this startup.
A newly created team of international researchers and research software developers will work on this project. The main task of the applicant will be to support some of the researchers for the development and the experimental evaluation of novel machine learning systems that are able to learn new concepts by interacting with their environment. This may include:
- efficiently implementing learning algorithms, using frameworks such as TensorFlow;
- interfacing learning algorithms to both robotic simulators and computational environments where the intelligent artificial agent generates and run code and then analyzes the results;
- collecting, structuring and analyzing open source code available online;
- setting up and maintaining big data systems that store open source code, learning history and results, and various metadata regarding learning experiments.
The candidate will likely program mostly in Python, but should be open to use the technologies most appropriate for each task, as needed.
Desired qualifications and skills
- Bachelor (master degree is preferred) in computer science, information technology engineering, applied mathematics, or related fields;
- Strong analytical skills, such as problem solving and logical thinking;
- Experience in object-oriented programming of advanced numerical or algebraic algorithms;
- Enthusiasm to learn new things and work in a multidisciplinary and international research environment;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
This position represents an ideal and privileged opportunity for both recently graduated master students and more experienced computer scientists and engineers to join a vibrant, international, and multidisciplinary working environment, and to contribute to the advancement of the state of the art of the research in machine learning and software development.
The project, called “Automated software development through abstraction in deep, distributed computational models” (AutoWare), is funded by European structural funds through the Competitiveness Operational Programme and is led by Dr. Bipin Indurkhya (project director) and Dr. Răzvan Valentin Florian (associate project director).
The contract may start as soon as possible, according to the availability of the candidate. RIST, which is located in Cluj-Napoca, offers competitive salaries and top-level working conditions. The net salary for this position will be approximately in the range oflei monthly, according to the experience of the candidate.
How to apply
In order to apply to this position, the interested candidates should send by email to the address the following information:
- Full curriculum vitae (or a link to it, if available online);
- If available: links to open source software developed by the applicant, the latest thesis written by the applicant (, a Master thesis), or a selection of the best research publications;
- Optionally: a motivation letter, in English: Why would you like to work with us? Why should we hire you?
We are looking forward to hearing from you!