The Oracle Exadata Engineer is responsible for maintaining and implementing Exadata related activities, security and establishes policies & procedures for complex database management against agreed SLAs to ensure database service availability and reliability. Main responsibilities are 3rd level support of Exadata and complex request management. Since Exadata is a compliance, all in one solution, expertise and knowledge needed in Linux, Oracle and storage solutions.
The nature of the oracle Exadata job demands a rational person who has in depth overall oracle, OS and storage technology technical skills and able to support and deliver global operational team requirements.
• Administer Oracle databases, mainly Exadata and RAC technologies.
• Review application architecture and associated Oracle Exadata infrastructure to ensure scalability and stability.
• Assist with the coordination and execution of the Oracle database patching strategy which includes critical patch updates and patch set updates.
• Participate in ongoing Capacity Planning and pro-active Monitoring of databases including Exadata and RAC technologies.
• Provide database technology guidance to the Shell development team and Application Support teams.
• Assist with SQL tuning and optimization.
• Monitor and Tune database and instance properties and configurations as needed.
• Execute database maintenance as required.
• Identify database/OS/Storage issues, create Oracle service requests and resolve issues.
• Participating in disaster recovery testing when required.
• Evaluate new database features and document the benefits as they relate to the applications being supported and recommend tactical and strategic solutions.
• Document database environments and maintain historical performance and capacity data.
• Work with teams on application scalability testing.
• Review vendor technical requirements for projects and provide analysis and feedback on non-standard installations.
• Work with other teams when required if projects require cross platform/technical resources.
• Mentor team members (in LUX ORa team) in Exadata and RAC technologies.
• Work closely with DBA peers in the Operations and Engineering teams.
- Assist DBA Operations in identifying and resolving re-occurring incidents.
- Work closely with global engineering team (Oracle/Microsoft Cooperation, Storage and Network) to solve complex problems.
- Coordinate on root cause analysis between stake holder and database operation.
- Take full responsibility for the identification of key methodological or process issues.
- Provide end to end analysis and remediate plan.
- Lead new project request discussion with customer / project manager in the early stage in regarding to design, sizing, implementation standard & option.
- Participate in complex HA project implementations.
- Act as principle liaison/focal point to Project Manager / project member / Engineers to resolve technical roadblocks.
- Work closely with Database SE assigned to the technology portfolio in the delivery of assigned deliverables.
- Maintain a high level of customer satisfaction in a multi dimensional engagement framework that includes Business Customer, Project Manager, Program Manager and participating engineers.
- Strong ability to steer and manage expectation and impression through effective communication.
- The ability to influence others with tactical and strategic communication method to secure cooperation and avoid conflicts.
- Demonstrate leadership quality in conveying goals and objectives clearly to assigned Database Service Engineer under the technology portfolio.
- Analyzes and determine the risk and impact of the decisions made.
- Set and meet realistic dateline for assigned Database Service Engineer under the technology portfolio.
- Anticipates consequences of actions, potential problems and opportunities for change.
- Forecasts/anticipate upcoming challenges in projects and services offering and develop/design/methods to overcoming challenges.
- Introduce, develop and implement improvements to the assigned technology portfolio.
- Minimum a Degree holder, . or equivalent, preferably in IT discipline.
- Experience with Oracle 10G/11G, Oracle EXADATA, RAC, Data Guard (either as DBA or OS/Storage Engineer)
- Strong knowledge of Oracle ASM and RAC (either as DBA or OS/Storage Engineer)
- RMAN and Streams experience is a plus.
- Strong experience with Linux
- Strong experience with NettApp is a plus.
- Expertise on (Oracle) Performance Tuning
- Previous experience upgrading/patching Oracle 10g/11g Databases and or OS
- A clear understanding of Virtualization strategies and how Oracle is deployed in these environments.
- Proven experience with System Level Performance and Tuning in a database and OS environment
- Strong understanding of Oracle utilities (OEM, AWR/ADDM reports, Diagnostic and Tuning packs) and any other Third-party database toolsets (Database and/or OS)
- Sound knowledge of Oracle backup and recovery scenarios
- Ability to perform both Database and OS level monitoring.
- Strong problem solving skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to resolve Very Large Database (VLDB) issues
- Knowledge of UNIX OS, shell scripting is a plus
- Ability to work in a team atmosphere
- Willingness and ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Willingness and ability to handle on call duties
Generic DBA Experience and Skills:
- Excellent technical knowledge of Oracle ,UNIX/Linux Storage (NAS/SAN).
- Accreditations like . Oracle Certified Professional or MCSDBA are a clear plus.
- Understanding of data management tools and techniques, . normalisation, relational database design.
- Understanding of server and storage technology, . RAID, NAS, SAN, snapshot, especially in the area of High Availability.
- Good knowledge and experience in the use of the Problem / Change and remote management tools, processes and applications.
- Data gathering and analysis skills (impact & risk).
- Ability to use ITIL based global tools and processes (processes and methodology).
- Able to demonstrate advanced troubleshooting skills.
- Self motivated individual with excellent interpersonal, communication and influencing skills.
- Committed to team working and knowledge sharing for the benefit of the team and service.
- Personal behaviours and values that nurture openness, honesty, trust, mutual respect and support from all team members, in line with Service Excellence ideals.
- Excellent Customer interface/service skills.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Leadership/consultancy skills and ability, including project management, interviewing and presentation skills.
- Understanding of the customer business cost and manpower levels impact.
- Solid understanding of Business Continuity requirements.
- Understanding of Asset Management principles.
- Solid presentation skills.