YOUR CAREER JOURNEY STARTS HERE!
Entry (0-2 years), Middle (2-5 years), Senior (5-10 years), Executive (>10 years)
This job is inactive, but you can still send your resume to the company
- The DBA is responsible for maintaining and implementing database related activities, security and establishes policies & procedures for complex database management against agreed SLAs to ensure database service availability and reliability.
- Operate effectively with minimal supervision and within a clear accountability framework.
- Provide DBA specific services to other parts of the organisation such as Service Engineering and other Run & Maintain teams.
- Respond to all requests for assistance logged through delivery service lines in a timely and efficient manner and according to agreed service levels, standards and procedures.
- Ensure that any potential problems, such as performance degradation, reliability and security issues are addressed proactively.
- Participate in ad hoc team meetings to discuss issues facing the team and action plans to address these issues.
- Perform root-cause analysis as appropriate and/or when specifically requested.
- Work with other Service Lines (such as Help Desk, STO/Telecomm, Application Support, and external vendors, etc.) to provide service, support, and guidance.
- Follow formal processes and adhere to the global end-to-end processes (involving Incident Management, Change Management, Problem Management, Situation Management, etc.)
- Contribute to the development, enhancement, formalization, and implementation of standard technical service delivery processes globally.
- Monitor problem/query resolution and where necessary ensure appropriate escalation.
Knowledge, Skills and Expertise:
- Knowledge of principles, practices and theories in Database legacy and new technology.
- Knowledge of organization's methodology and tools.
- Understand and adhere to Information Security policies and standards.
- Execute allocated database support tasks. Services are provided to both external as well as internal customers. Tasks include standard request support, break/fix support, proactive management, trouble-shooting, problem monitoring/resolution etc. relating to backups, monitoring, security management, storage, hardware, SQL, Oracle, and related components.
- Ensure availability of valid database backups at all times.
- Ensure that any potential problems . performance degradation, reliability and security issues are addressed pro-actively.
- Resolve all incidents within targets as specified in SLA, minimising response time in reacting to incidents and queries.
- Minimise Mean Time To Repair (MTTR).
- Use of end-to-end ITIL processes and tools (such as Service Center) in order to manage incidents, changes, assets, and service interruptions.
- Promoting use of end-to-end processes such as incident management, change management, and situation management.
- Ensure appropriate escalation actions are taken, using the global tools and processes available.
- Involved in any operational changes to the service, organisation, tools and processes.
- Interface with other parts of the H&S delivery organisation in an open and constructive way.
- Asset Management; contribute to a 100% accurate administration of supported assets, agreed service levels and billing.
- Looks to improve efficiencies of processes.
- Work to solve incidents, produce documentation, and share learning with counterpart teams.
- Participate in on-call pager rotation for reactive support and respond to monitoring alerts in a timely manner.
- Ensure that work is properly documented and saved in a central repository (mostly Livelink and Primus) according to specific service guidelines.
Critical Thinking and Problem Solving:
- Develops improvements and innovations to enhance performance.
- Take partial responsibility for the identification of key methodological or process issues in the team.
- Analyses problem by collecting available data, eliciting additional information, shifting out irrelevancies, constructing an accurate picture of the situation and distilling the key issues.
- Evaluates solutions critically on the basis of logical assumptions, factual information and chooses appropriate solution.
- Participate in staff performance and service excellence reviews.
- Participate in skills development of the virtual DBA organisation.
- Creates a sense of belonging and ownership among team members, coaches and motivates team members.
- responsibility; promotes mutual support and interaction.
- Consults and provides advice, facilitates discussion and resolves conflict; establishes trust; builds and uses cross-functional relationship to accomplish work objectives.
- Ensure that customer satisfaction in all interactions meets the contracted Customer Service levels.
- Maintain a high level of Customer Satisfaction.
- Conveys goals and objectives clearly, interprets customers requirement and implement the expected service delivery.
- Influence others with tact and diplomacy and convince others to gain cooperation and eliminating conflict.
- Maintain a well developed network of individuals and organisations to assist in achieving work related goals.
- Anticipates consequences of actions, potential problems and opportunities for change.
- Sets and meets realistic deadlines.
- Forecasts changes and communicates current and projected issues.
- Degree, . eq., preferably in an Information Technology discipline with certification in Oracle or SQL Database Technology.
- At least 5 years experience in an IT function, of which 3 years experience as a DBA in a first/second line support role.
- At least 3 years experience in a multi disciplined IT environment with strong background in service delivery, operational support, and proactive management.
- Strong interpersonal skills to interact with fellow team members, fellow customer teams both regionally and globally, customer project resources for project-type activities, and various customer and customer segment representatives.
Experience and Skills:
- Good technical knowledge of Oracle, SQL Server, Windows OS and/or UNIX and Linux. Accreditations like . Oracle Certified Professional or MCSDBA a clear plus.
- Awareness of other technologies supported by T-Systems, including the Microsoft office suite of applications.
- Experience with integration and support of backup software (Commvault Galaxy, TSM, Legato, BackupExec, etc.).
- Experience with security, networking, monitoring tools (NetIQ, Oracle Enterprise Manager, MOM/SCCM) is a plus.
- Understanding of data management tools and techniques, . normalisation, relational database design.
- A technical awareness of the infrastructure services; in particular on the implementation and version management of RDBMS tools.
- Understanding of server and storage technology, especially in the area of High Availability.
- Good knowledge and experience in the use of the Incident / Change and remote management tools, processes and applications.
- Basic data gathering and analysis skills (for the internal performance monitoring and Service Level management).
- Ability to use ITIL based global tools and processes (methodology and processes).
- Self motivated individual with solid interpersonal, communication and influencing skills.
- Ability to work in a global environment and with colleagues in other regions; this might include customers, customer segment teams, application focal points, other internal customer teams, and vendors.
- Good customer interface/service (communications) skills.
- Good time management skills.
- Understanding of the customer business.
- Understanding of Business Continuity requirements.
- Basic presentation skills.