Software Engineer (Streaming Delivery)
* all languages are compulsory
Reporting to: Head of Data Integration Platforms
Department name: Data Integration & Corporate Enterprise Tools
Location: Bucharest, Ro / Cluj, Ro
Who We Are – MassMutual Romania
MassMutual Romania – in partnership with MassMutual in the United States – will help shape a culture of innovation and to create the digital products and technology solutions that help people secure their future and protect the ones they love.
Positioning MassMutual for its next 20 million customers and remaining innovative in a digital-first world led to the creation of MassMutual Romania in 2020. With offices in Bucharest and Cluj, MassMutual Romania was established to build an in-house team with expertise in application development and support, quality assurance and data science.
For 170 years, MassMutual has put its customers at the heart of what it does by providing holistic financial solutions, guidance, and education on their terms. Its long-term strategy helps ensure that policyowners and their loved ones can rely on them to be there when they need them most.
If this vision excites you, we are seeking a Cloud Engineer to become a MassMutual Romania team member. This is a great opportunity to be a part of the transformational journey at MassMutual Romania. As we continue to grow our business and look for new ways to engage with customers, technology will be one of the most important enablers to our success and you can be a part of it.
Do you want to be part of a team that encourages your growth, supports your ambitions and makes it a priority for you to reach your goals? Is helping people part of who you are? At MassMutual Romania, we help millions of people find financial freedom, offer financial protection and plan for the future. We do this by building trust with our customers by being knowledgeable problem solvers and prioritize their needs above all else. We Live Mutual.
If this sounds like a fit, we’re looking to hire a Software Engineer to join our team.
The Software Engineer will work from our Bucharest or Cluj office while collaborating with the Global MassMutual teams and provide support in the cloud platform area. The person who will join this role will report to an IT Delivery Manager from Romania.
Are you ready to be part of a team that implements and manages data integration services across MassMutual Organization, delivering value to multiple stakeholders such as internal operations as well as external customers? We create streaming services that are the core to the functioning of several systems in the company.
This is an excellent opportunity for a motivated software engineer with a passion to learn new technologies & to become an expert in event driven architecture leveraging Kafka. It will provide you visibility to how multiple systems operate around MassMutual. As we grow and scale our organization to deliver more services, we hae to manage technical debt that we have, and improve uptime of our current streaming applications. This role will be in a squad that will drive strategic initiatives to build these services. The team will also eventually be responsible for Production Support and members will be required to be on call during user peak time. The squad will be the driving force of ensuring quality is maintained and maintain the required uptime and SLA.
You will build and maintain the codebase that powers both our customer event streaming services as well as internal services. This is a role for engineers that are familiar with standard web backend architecture, event driven systems, and capable in database design and interaction. You will be working closely with the team in USA to understand the functional needs of their product requirements, developing new code to solve new problems, as well as maintaining existing code to squash bugs. Our Streaming platform is expanding rapidly with more mission critical services, so experience and commitment to easily understood and tested code is also a key part of the role.
- Build and maintain Kafka Integrations
- Supporting on premise and cloud platform environments such as AWS
- Develop, integrate and test run time execution of Streaming services
- Assist in production setup, monitoring and roll out to partners
- Active “developer on call” to support maintenance and issue remediation of the streaming services we support: Debugging existing software and correcting defects
- Contribute to the conceptual and physical design of application integration using events
- Integrating existing software into new or modified systems or operating environments
- Writing or reviewing software system documentation and ability to share knowledge is a must
- Be able to “debug” a code; critically think to highlight where issues are coming from
- Experience with Java Web applications, RESTful Services and Java Message Service (JMS)
- Experience with AWS/Microservices
- Experience with Kafka or other event streaming systems (RabbitMq, Kinesis, Service Bus)
- Spring Framework knowledge and experience
- Experience with design/prototyping
- At least 1 year of experience in developing REST services using Java or
- Able to implement processes and troubleshoot to continue to improve operational stability
- DevOps experience a plus
- Experience and understanding of Kubernetes (preferred)
- Experience with GitHub or GitLab
- Experience with generating technical documentation
- Experience using with Jira and Confluence
- Agile Methodology - comfortable working in a scrum environment
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Business Information Systems or equivalent educational or professional experience and/or qualifications with at least 2-5 years of experience in software development
- Learner – shouldn’t be shy to learn any new technology
- Quality Focused - should believe in code quality and be able to highlight challenges/issues with current code.
- Shift left mentality – . quality is owned by the team rather than just a QA tester.
- Clear and effective communication skills - verbal and written
- Critical Thinking – ability to dive into a problem, dig in to help SDETs and then pull up as needed.
- Ability to visualize the flow of data through a complex application is critical to your success, and to the team