Frontend+backend developer HTML+CSS+JS & Rust
Entry (0-2 years), Middle (2-5 years), Senior (5-10 years)
English - Advanced
We’re a young privately founded Romanian tech startup building an innovative geographically distributed monitoring solution for web applications and infrastructure with the help of our small team of 3-4 enthusiasts. ()
We’re looking for a web developer willing to experiment with new technologies. In the current phase of our startup he/she would focus 75% of the time on frontend code and the rest on backend side.
However, we do not have fixed roles. We hope that each team member would involve himself/herself in any available task one desires, from product or UX, to low-level code or multi-region deployment, depending on one’s interests, expertise and professional growth desires.
Instead of the office perks of an outsourcing company, we aim to provide an environment that caters to professional growth, including supporting those that want to pivot their careers (for example from frontend to backend, or from web development to systems programming or vice-versa).
We emphasize hands-on experience in relation to anything we've outlined below, so we welcome you to show us any personal or experimental projects you have worked on, especially open-source contributions.
What you can expect:
- Learn new and exciting technologies, especially non-mainstream or emerging ones like for example Rust, Erlang, Go, Deno, or ClickHouse, as well as established and battle-tested ones like for example TurboLinks, PostgreSQL, RabbitMQ, Linux, HAProxy, or Linode. However our product is in early stages with many technical challenges ahead so expect lots of hands-on experimentation and late minute 180 degree direction changes.
- Flexible hours, 4 days a week with Friday off, so you have plenty of personal and family time. Work anytime you feel productive, but we have two mandatory "core hours” between 10-16 when we synchronize with the rest of the team. Remote work is an option, however in the long term we would like to meet at least periodically in person for brainstorming and whiteboard sessions.
- Our team is small so you get to participate in every aspect from design to deployment, from UX to CDN’s, thus allowing you to take initiative and ownership. Also we don’t believe in titles and latest organizational and process fads like Scrum, iterations, stand-up meetings, poker planning estimates and others. We intend to use a simplified Kanban-inspired approach and not much else.
- Although we are not afraid to leverage many ground breaking technologies, we do strive to keep the complexity in check, thus we don’t expect to use much, if any, technologies like for example React or Angular, NodeJS and its environment, mobile development, Kubernetes, Terraform or Docker. Any technology that we use has to weigh more on the usefulness and stability side than compared to its cost and inherent complexity.
- Also, because we leverage many open-source projects, where possible we intend to contribute back to the open-source community and even open-source some of our own code, thus your effort’s impact would span beyond our company.
What we're looking for:
- Mandatory hands-on programming experience regardless of the programming language. We're looking for experience in developing non-trivial applications where programming techniques like modularization, abstraction, concurrency, backward / forward compatibility were used.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbally. Good knowledge of English is mandatory. You can expect that our interviews will be in English for the most part.
- Basic Linux experience. Our development is on Linux or OSX. No Windows, sorry.
Major plus to have (though optional):
- Experience with Sass, SCSS, Less, Bootstrap, or other frameworks;
- Experience with TurboLinks or similar technologies;
- Experience with React, Angular, VueJS, Ember, or other alternatives;
- Experience with jQuery, Lodash, Underscore, or other libraries;
- Experience with any of: Rust, Go, Elixir, Erlang, Ruby, Python, Java, C++;
- Experience with PostgreSQL or alternatively MySQL or MS-SQL;
- Experience with NoSQL databases, especially CouchDB, MongoDB, etc.;
- Experience in designing and implementing DSLs (Domain Specific Languages);
- Linux experience, especially with CLI tools;
- IaaS/PaaS, especially AWS or GCP, Linode or DigitalOcean;
- Networking and internet architecture (. DNS, HTTP/1+2, routing);