The employer is not currently actively recruiting for this position, but you can apply for the ad.
Medium system administrator
Looking for Premium Talent
Middle (2-5 years)
* all languages are compulsory
To take on the remote maintenance and evolution of Linux/KVM servers (multiple client sites, >10 hosts) and contribute to development projects in collaboration with others. Combining a systems administration role with contributing to software development projects, this will be a challenging role, both in the breadth of the technology sets that need to be maintained and in the highly specialised nature of some of the development projects.
Some travel to and in the UK may be required. There is likely to be occasional need to work outside of normal office hours as required.
Note in the following skills/knowledge section the items are grouped into “highly desirable” and “desirable”; this to reflect our belief that while it would be ideal to get a candidate that ticks all the “highly desirable” boxes we’d also be interested in someone who, while unable to tick all the first set, ticks a lot of the others.
- Experience with Linux server and desktop administration in an organisational context, preferably Ubuntu but other distros (and Unices) would be considered, particularly for candidates who are strong in other areas.
- Experience supporting RDBMS, pref. PostgreSQL and MySQL and with some exposure to HA technologies.
- Experience managing KVM, preferably including use and implementation of virsh compatible management GUI overlays such as Archipel. Extensive experience with equivalent virtualisation technologies considered.
- Experience working with Samba (v4) as server and authentication provider or as part of an authentication chain.
Nice to haves:
- Documentation obsessive
- Experience supporting Python apps, web/server side and desktop
- Experience supporting PHP web apps
- Experience supporting Bind or other Internet-class nameservers
- Experience working with rsync in a backup context
- Experience working with deployment technologies . Salt
- Experience working with iSCSI storage systems
- Evidence of active participation in open source projects, whether documentation, helping other users, coding, etc..
- Experience working with geospatial tech
- Experience working with photogrammetry, particularly in its use for measurement
- Experience in process automation, applying existing or new technology to speed up or improve reliability of processes
- Experience supporting and integrating CAS or other SSO solutions
- Experience of supporting and maintaining large web-enabled file storage and sharing services . Nextcloud
- Experience supporting Joomla/WordPress/MODX/etc
- An interest in Internet security practices and technologies
- Please describe the most complex project you worked on and what your part was
- Did you use virtualisation? What technologies and what for?
- Did you use any continuous monitoring service? What was it?
- If you have some related technologies you extensively worked with, please let us know.