Middle (2-5 years), Senior (5-10 years)
The IHS Markit Architecture and platform team is responsible for ensuring a cohesive architecture across the different products in the Financial Markets division, developing and providing a shared services platform that can be used by different products. It is also responsible to investigate and explore new technologies (such as Distributed Ledger Technology (DLT), Machine Learning …) with both keeping with the current trends and applying them to the products across the firm. Position summary
The Devops engineer is required to help package, maintain, deploy and support the new DLT platform and product. The role involves hands on development of automation tooling, scripting and support of the systems, working with distributed team. The platform enables enterprise use of DLT technologies by wrapping core DLT services such as Ethereum with additional services to enable its use by other enterprise applications. Knowledge and experience in providing Devops support for enterprise systems particularly using Spring Boot and deployed in the Cloud will be Good understanding of current Blockchain technologies (particularly Ethereum) and a knowledge of the finance domain will be a plus.
If you love to figure out how all the pieces are put together in a build environment, or if automation, and building tools to monitor and manage your applications sounds interesting to you, we want to talk to you.
Duties & accountabilities
- Work with remote teams in New York and India,
- Embed with development teams to ensure best practices are implemented
- Support the Production, Simulation, QA and Development environments as needed.
- Design and assist in the authoring of software tools that reliably manage application delivery
- Design and assist in the setup and maintenance of the build/release infrastructure
- Drive innovation and adoption of best practices.
- Improve predictability and reliability of software releases
- Work with product teams and clients to enable best use of the DLT service
Education and experience
- Degree in Computer Science or Engineering or equivalent.
- 4+ years of Devops experience preferably in a financial environment.
- Fluent in at least one scripting language in addition to Bash (Python/Perl/PHP/Ruby), or demonstrated ability to write programs using a high-level programming language like: C++, Java, or Ruby
- Linux (CentOS/RHEL/Amazon Linux) system engineering expertise
- Configuration management systems (Puppet, Ansible, and Docker knowledge preferred).
- Experience with Cloudformation or Terraform.
- Networking knowledge (AWS VPC experience is a plus)
- High-availability approaches including load balancing, dynamic scaling, and capacity planning
- Experience using metrics and monitoring to ensure customer SLA objectives are met
- Experience operating Cloud Computing platforms (. Amazon AWS, Google Compute, Azure) and their PaaS based components (ECS, Cloudfront, S3, RDS, etc.)
- Excellent written communication, problem solving, and process management skills
- Should have worked with distributed systems and architecture – preferably with Microservices.
- Knowledge of Blockchain / DLT technologies such as Ethereum would be a plus – particularly experience in Solidity.
What We Look For
- Containerization platforms (Docker, Rancher, Kubernetes)
- Agile development, testing, and deployment expertise
- Experience in Java including Spring Boot
- Distributed version control system experience (Git preferred)
- Database operations at scale (MySQL, MongoDB, Dynamo, RDS)
- Maven, Gradle, and Jenkins
- Experience with application telemetry tools such as InfluxDB, Prometheus, Grafana, Datadog, or New Relic
- Experience with log aggregation and anomaly detection platforms such as Splunk, Graphite, CloudWatch, or ELK stack
- Operating in a developer-empowered environment where software delivery teams deploy and monitor their applications throughout the application lifecycle
- Big data platforms such as Cloudera, Vertica, Hadoop, Amazon Redshift, or Elastic MapReduce
- Package management platforms such as Debian RPM, npm, pip, Ruby gems, and others
- Strong analytical and mathematical skills
- Proactive and able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Displays energy, drive and stamina.
- Open minded, flexible and willing to adapt to changing situations.
- Comfortable working with global teams operating across different time zones.
- Focused on delivery.
- Must be an excellent communicator both written and verbally.
- Must be a strong team player.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with overseas team.