OVERALL PURPOSE OF POSITION
The IP Planning Engineer will work within Engineering planning function on the mobile & core network, working on 2G, 3G & LTE traffic around the IP transport network.
• To produce detailed transmission plans to support new services, and network infrastructure to support mobile access, voce core 2G, 3G and 4G platforms
• To provide a timely response to all Fixed Network and Core Voice enquires over the core IP network
• Liaise with other functional domains such as Core Voice, Mobile Access, Project Management Office & Network Data build.
• Monitor and support IP transmission cases fault queue.
• To manage and maintain records of IP node allocations with the transport team
• Create bespoke IP transmission engineering solutions on the customer’s network.
• Provide technical assistance and communication to field and network build engineers during planning activities or scheduled work.
• Working on the IP platform to provide services againsted project delivery.
• Collate data from the transport network to create weekly and monthly reports for analysis, to ensure data used to maintain the network is within required thresholds.
• Working with data build script to highlight any validation issues
• Manage IP test platform/environment within customers site
• Produce specific Transmission Plans & Designs for:
- Alcatel Lucent SR12 Nodes within the SAM platform
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE AND TECHNICAL SKILLS
• Excellent working knowledge of VLAN, VPLS, VPRN, VRRP, BFD & knowledge of BGP.
• Extensive analysis skills of an IP platform for capacity management
• Excellent working knowledge of Nokia (Alcatel Lucent) SR7750 service routers
• Working understanding of SDH and DWDM technology
• Report creation & investigation
• Working with Proptima to produce stats
• Excellent working knowledge of optical connectivity
• Working knowledge of mobile access & core switch networks, . RNC, BSC, MGW, MSCS & MBC’s
• Willingness to work out-of-hours
• Script validation
• Excellent working knowledge of Excel & data manipulation
• Ability to create or amend MOP’s
• To assess & validate requirements via full impact analysis
• Logical approach to problem solving within the transport network
Transport (team/platform/services specific knowledge)
• Good understanding of mobile and ISP network architecture (GSM, GPRS, UMTS, IP, Internet)
• English language skills (good verbal and written)
• Good knowledge of the followings:
o routers, switches and remote access servers , preferably Cisco, Huawei, Juniper, Nokia.
o Network and routing protocols : EIGRP, OSPF, BGP , MPLS , MPLS-VPNs, QOS, Traffic Eng. etc.
o Application protocols
o Network and performance monitoring.
o Transmission technologies: PDH, SDH, DWDM, WDM, DSL, ATM, Microwave TX, IP Transport protocols
o Fundamental understanding of networks infrastructure: optical fiber, microwaves and copper